11 Facts About Logistics
1. Logistics is one of the largest industries in the world.
2. The logistics industry has 6 different sectors: aviation, transport road, aviation, maritime, storage and warehousing.
3. In the USA over 9 million people work in the logistics industry. 3.5 million of them are truck drivers.
4. Over 89 % of shippers in the United States think that communication, openness and flexibility are the key to success.
5. About 350.000 new jobs are created every year in the Unites States for the logistics industry.
6. Logistics has two main focuses: internal and external.
Internal logistics is one of the primary processes of logistics concentrating on purchasing and arranging the inbound movement of materials, parts, or unfinished inventory from suppliers to manufacturing or assembly plants, warehouses, or retail stores.
External logistics is the process related to the storage and movement of the final product and the related information flows from the end of the production line to the end-user. Most companies in US only focus on one.
7. There are 16 million trucks in USA, but only 3.5 million qualified truck drivers.
8. Furniture, electronics, food and apparel are the most commonly shipped varieties of items in the U.S.
8. About 70% of the freight is transported by trucks. Overall trucks transport over $700 billion in manufactured goods annually.
9. The word “logistics” comes from France, where it was originally associated with the military supplies and transportation of soldiers.
10. In the U.S, there are over 240,000 truck drivers that are female.
11. Air freight is much more popular than sea freight. 11 billion tons of goods are shipped by boat worldwide each year and over 42 billion tons of goods are transported by air.